Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mishaps Along The Road To Beautification



WARNING: THIS IS A VERY GIRLIE POST! MEN WOULD BE BORED BY IT.

I am overweight, 5’5”, and haven’t been able to tame my hair since the past 23 years. Not a favorable description for a young girl. But that’s the reality of my life.

The ugly duckling never turned into a swan. Fat, slim, short, tall, fair, dark, ugly, beautiful; I’d never really invested much thought in physical attributes. A person may have drop dead gorgeous looks and consider himself a boon to womankind; but if he doesn’t have a pleasing personality, a good sense of humor, and most importantly if I’m able to see the back of his head when I look into his eyes, I won’t give him a second glance. Character, personality, intellect, wit; that’s what interests me more.

And then I started hearing comments from my peers and family. There were few kids in school who used to tease me always because I didn’t have that peaches and cream complexion, had very short hair and was reed thin back then. In my family too, I used to hear random comments and comparisons with the good looking cousins. I’d had enough.

I know I can’t turn into a beauty overnight. But some serious damage control had to be done...but I was completely clueless about where to start.

1. Clothes, I decided. The only colors in my wardrobe then were black (98%), white (1%) and blue (1%). High time I introduced some more color to my clothes collection. But I don't know the first thing about clothes design, color matching, embroidery, different clothing materials. And so many choices! Guys have it so easy; just shirts, tees and pants. Here's a sample: In November, I was wondering what to wear for my brother's wedding and my Bhabhi suggested, "Buy an Anarkali dress". Right. But what on earth was that! Flashes of the movie Mughal-e-azam came to me. I had to call up few friends to find out what it was, and they were all aghast at my negligible knowledge of fashion! Too complicated, I tell you; especially coordinating the different pieces. What goes well with Harem pants, tees or kurtis, or are the pants out of trend already?

I decided not to fuss about clothes trends anymore and wear what I feel comfortable in.I started taking care that I wear simple yet tasteful clothes and make myself as presentable as I could.

2. Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. Own about 20 pairs now, and slowly adding to the list.

3. Accessories: No improvement on that field yet. I hate jewellery, but I’d started wearing a pendant bearing the letter “M” since past few years. Simple yet elegant. Non fussy. Just the way I like things to be. I have a few Esprit watches and bags. That completes the collection.

4. Make up was and is still a no-no. I feel awkward wearing make up. It is too much of a bother; applying lipstick, mascara, foundation and what not in the never ending list of options women have.

A couple of years back I started reading the occasional Cosmo and was amazed at the collection of cosmetics available. I have this fetish for moisturizers: body butter, lotion, body cream, face moisturizer, tinted moisturizer, night cream, day cream, winter cream; I started hoarding all of them. I say hoarding because an average bottle lasts me a year. As for applying lipstick, I swallow it within an hour of application. I get raccoon eyes with eyeliner and mascara, even the water-proof ones.

One of my most painful memories is of waxing. I quit after that first attempt. Depilatory creams were a pain free yet messy boon. I haven't got used to even threading my eyebrows because of my low pain tolerance, and roam around with bushy eyebrows most of the time.

But now I try to remain loyal to the routine of cleansing, applying sunscreen, moisturizing, and short cuticle-free nails. Four basic steps in my road to beautification.

5. Perfumes: A fruity, citrusy note.

6. Hair cut at a proper beauty salon rather than the neighborhood 'Aunty' who had been giving me and my sister haircuts at home since a long time.

7. Bright red nail polish, I find them irresistible. Short nails with rounded tips and bright cheery red nail polish painted on them is one pretty sight.

8. Black mascara: that’s the only piece of make up I wear and try not to get raccoon eyes.

After years of neglecting the way I look, I am on the road to beautification to look somewhat presentable. I can’t change my physical attributes but the least I can do is be confident enough to face the world and that confidence is boosted by wearing the right clothes(not necessarily branded expensive ones), having a sensible non fussy hairstyle, and proper accessories. I’m making the effort despite laziness and enjoying it too!

7 comments:

Arv said...

I like #4 a lot :)

and I like the fact that you look for brains more than looks :)

take care.. cheers,...

Quirky Mon said...

@ Arv
#4 is a necessity more than a choice...because I resemble a clown on applying make up.

lostonthestreet said...

Aah,this could very well be my story!! I still don't own a lipstick :-( and I was the one with only black/white/blue...but now i have ventured beyond those colours

Medieval Or Modern said...

Join the Gang. Of Women made to feel (ok people try and try) inadequate without the frills. Hey, you are just fine. And hear that from someone many decades older from you.
You will still be attractive, witty, charming, intelligent. And who does not understand is a bozo.

oRange said...

awh, u'r so cute!
haha

and ya i totally agree with the make up thing ..im so anti-make up!
its just kajal that i use!

smartness matters anyday!

and for guys who go wagging their tails behind sexy dumb girls ..
pity u people man!

onely said...

Not knowing you, I still have to second Medieval's comment that women are under all sorts of wierd insane pressure to conform to cookiecutter beauty standards and if you ignore those (as it seems you have been doing up until this point), then you ARE probably just fine. That said, I myself have a moisturizer collection too! = )
Christina

feelchillingfireflashes said...

howz the progress on the last agenda of the post? :P i badly need some tips here!!!