Monday, March 16, 2009

"Life of 'Pee'", nervous boyfriend and hawk-eyed parent...perfect recipe for my first date!


I went after lunch to two of the few book stores in Guwahati which can boast of a good collection of books, from the latest bestsellers to the classics, covering a varied and interesting range of books. “Western Book Depot” and “Papyrus”, situated at Panbazar. If you happen to spot a fat female browsing through books at these two bookstores often, oblivious to the world around her…well, that most probably is me. I had spent many happy hours browsing at these bookstores every month, and save money all year round to splurge on visits to these shops. By the way, I bought three books today…Milan Kundera’s “Slowness” and “Ignorance”, and “Recess: A Penguin Book of Schooldays”. Reviews are due next month after I complete reading them.

Anyways, this post is not about the pleasures of endless hours of browsing at bookstores. I had already written about my fascination for book stores. Today I want to share a very memorable incident in my life that occurred at the “Western Book Depot”. My first date. Or my first date turned disaster. You must be thinking what’s wrong with me to have chosen a bookstore as the location for my first date. Read on to know why.

I fell in love for the first time four years back when I was 19. I was never interested in the guys I had grown up with, or studied together. And the whole concept of casual dating and testing the waters for a few months is something I can’t identify with at all. Add to that my introvert nature …and I would’ve remained single till I was 50 if I hadn’t met him! He was 5 years elder to me. Completely different backgrounds…he was an MBA student at IIT, Kharagpur, while I was a second year medical student in Assam. We met online. And I liked him instantly. He was witty, intelligent, caring and I absolutely loved talking to him. Friends first…and then in a year became a little more than friends. But we had never talked about meeting; and were quite happy with our conversations online. I admit I was scared that the comfort level in our relationship might change when we meet in person…scared of awkward silences in conversations, or that we might not have anything to talk about. When he got his MBA degree, and was about to leave for his new job...one night I received a phone call from him, saying that he’s on his way to meet me and arriving in Guwahati the next day.

May 14, 2005: To say I was petrified would be a huge understatement. My father is way too protective of me and my sister, and we weren’t allowed to go anywhere alone. I had no other way but to seek permission and go. That day I told my mother about him…the most awkward conversation of my life! She was OK with it but forbid me to meet him alone. Back to square one! He called up on reaching Guwahati, and I told him of the dilemma I faced. He was quite supportive and didn’t sulk. But I so wanted to meet him, I was ready to do anything just to see him once. I told my mother I had to buy a new book and have to urgently go to “Western Book Depot”. My mother, who was already suspicious after I mentioned him to her, was adamant on accompanying me to the bookstore and worse insisted on taking my sister and aunt along too! I was on the verge of tears. But this was my only chance to see him. I frantically texted him to meet me at the bookstore and warned him that my mother would be with me. He said he didn’t know the way around Guwahati and would accompany a friend to find the store. I was in such a hurry…I forgot to even comb my hair on the way out! That too the first time he saw me! The last thing I cared was how I looked; all I wanted was to see him once. We reached the store at 6pm. My mother got down along with me, while my aunt and sister waited in the car. I pretended to search for medical books. After about fifteen minutes, my mother said she would wait for me in the car. I was so relieved. As I waited for him, I decided to gift him a book. He had mentioned a few days earlier that he wanted to read “Life of Pi” by Yann Martel. I got the last copy of the book available in the shop for him. At around 6:25pm, I heard two loud, excited voices in the shop. My back was turned towards the entrance and when I turned around; I saw him and his friend. I smiled at him. But he didn’t reciprocate. I was taken aback. Didn’t he recognize me? After a moment’s confusion, I realized he was deliberately trying to feign that he didn’t know me. The reason: there was a lady in the book store who he thought was my mother!! He came and stood beside me but carried on the little act of being strangers, and instead turned to a man behind the bookstore counter, and asked whether "Life of pi" was available. The man answered, “Life of ‘Pee’ toh nahin hain. Last copy inhone (pointing at me) purchase kar liya.” (“Life of ‘Pee’ is not available, she purchased the last copy”).We were all trying hard not to laugh at the man’s pronunciation of the book title. I then turned and gave him my gift, the same book. He smiled at me, and by now had realized that my mother wasn’t in the shop as he had earlier thought. As he took the book from me, the bookstore owner went, “How kind of you, ma’am! Giving him your book. And that too free of cost!” They hadn’t yet realized that we knew each other and I turned the kind, helpful girl in their eyes. I had already spent a lot of time in the bookstore, and was worried that my Ma would come in and find him near me. I asked him to leave, quite reluctantly though. It was hardly for ten minutes that we saw each other that day…the first time…and he had to leave. As I walked out of the shop five minutes after him, I saw that his bike was parked right next to my car!!! Of all the places available, he had to park near my car, with my mother sitting in the car! I hoped that she hadn’t realized who he was. And I drove off, without daring to even look at him a second time in my mother’s presence. After few minutes, my mother remarked, “So you met him? He seemed nice.” I nearly had a cardiac arrest, when I realized that my mother had recognized him. How on earth did she know? Turned out that when my guy had parked his bike right next to our car, she overheard him tell his friend that I had asked him to meet me in the bookstore. And after all the trouble we both went through to keep the meeting discreet!!
That relationship ended long back, and he is happily married now. But I still can’t stop smiling thinking about my funny first date-turned-disaster, the nervous look on his face that day, my hawk-eyed Ma on the lookout for a tricky Romeo out to trap her daughter and instead finding a bumbling fool, and me savoring each second of those ten minutes of my first meeting with my first love. Short and sweet, a memory so special that it would last a lifetime. And, the bookstore will always remain special too.

16 comments:

Amit said...

I couldn't stop smiling as i was reading this one through....this is so touching n hats off to u to share something so special..."first time" r always special..Nice post !!

ANKIT said...

Zabardast post,,,reminds me of the scene in YUVA,,where ajay meets esha at the railway station (hoping you have seen the film ) ////

In fact your date is more terrific...has more intensity,,,can relate to it a bit i guess,,,!!


Good blog,

Keep writing,

Ankit.

americanising desi said...

do i smell my heart burn or is it the memory chamber!

Quirky Mon said...

first love, first crush...are always special. I go "aaaaaaaawwww" every time I am reminded of those days.

Quirky Mon said...

@ Ankit

Ya..I remember the scene from Yuva...but it was nothing like that...it was my first date...short and sweet...but a hell lot funny :)

R.V said...

I loved this! My first date was in the bank... Wonderful isn't it? But atleast it wasnt the first time we were meeting...

Quirky Mon said...

@ R.V.
glad you liked it. Oooh...A bank! Would love to read about it.

Towards reclamation said...

Sweet.Period. :)

CutePriya said...

Dear...

Your Cute little story is quite similar to mine...will write a post on dis...I never wanted to see my love to go...but alas...despite everything I had leave him for his new love (now his wife...it was too painful...but everyone tells me...there is always a second chance and what ever happens is for good...Just be positive...

Girl Next Door said...

Great Post. I lost myself reading the story. Memories of first love always remain special and fresh :)

Quirky Mon said...

@ Cute Priya Would love to hear your story. and everyone's right. Not all love stories succeed. Time heals all and it's up to us what we want to remember...i prefer the good memories

@ Girl Next Door yup, we tend to remember the firsts to the smallest detail.

Sujoy Bhattacharjee said...

Western Book Depot does keep itself updated. And I have some stories of my own regarding it. And one of them incidentally involved Life of Pi and Tales from Ferozeshah Bag. There is this another nice bookshop opposite to Sheikh Brother's I think. They had a small but interesting collection.

Your story will revive a few online friendships. They are going out of fad these days.

Satans Darling™ said...

My first ever read on your Blog and I am alllllllllll smiles! How sweet, it seems to me like some episode of a short story telecasted on TV because I could literally visualise each scene. Even if I have never seen you :)

And yes I agree, the relationships get over, but they leave these special moments which we cannot stop grinning over as and when we come across them while thinking :):):)

Great Blog!
Keep Blogging,

Love and Luck
Ashrita

Bhargav Saikia said...

Hey, you're from Guwahati?

I love going to Western Book Depot whenever I'm in Assam. Small but charming book store! Much like Bookworm in New Delhi.

Quirky Mon said...

@ Bhargav I'm originally from Jorhat. Shifted to Guwahati 11 years back.

And ya, there are only a handful of good bookstores in Guwahati, and Modern Book Depot and Western are the oldest among them.Lack of huge bookstores in the region, and beggars can't be choosers...so am a regular visitor there. :)

eightbeats said...

Does aunty follow your posts??????